Character Creation

A post-apocalypse dystopia setting using the Dresden Files RPG system. Something very bad happened to the world we knew, and now the survivors are trying to deal with what is left. The game focuses on consequences and hard choices in a tough-but-fair open world that can be pillaged, explored, and hopefully rebuilt.
Chrono
Name: Joshua

Character Creation

Postby Chrono » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Our first session will be character and city creation. I have a couple of books, and everything is done together including character creation. But for those of you that are wanting to look at character ideas before we meet up, here are some things to consider:

Power Level
Feet in the Water (6 refresh, 20 skill points, skill cap at Great): At this level you are just getting started with your supernatural life. Highly customizable templates aren’t going to be able to add much, so this is really the “enhanced mortal” game—you can do stuff that even the best of humanity cannot (but only barely).

Stunts and Powers
Everyone really needs to have at least 1 stunt. Anyone can have any stunt, and they only cost 1 refresh. They are great for boosting what your character can do, and they help give you a clear idea for aspects.

I have included custom power options from the main forum here for convenience, but I would really recommend visiting the official site for your character build options, especially if you have never played before. They have some interesting tips on character builds and all the handouts you would ever need.

Setting
Don't forget that we are playing a post-apocalypse dystopia. Staying alive is going to be difficult, as is moving forward. I am going to be throwing some tough challenges your way. And the world will be perceiving things differently. A doctor character, for example, is going to have a much different roll than she would in a normal modern setting.

JollyJackal
Name: Jake
Re: Character Creation

Postby JollyJackal » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Jake's Character:
(Question marks are things that I haven't set in stone yet/am still debating)

Name: (None yet)

Template: Emissary of Power (Thoth)
High Concept: Seeker of Hidden Knowledge
Trouble: Finder of Dangerous Knowledge?
Other Aspects:
Known Paper Pusher
Skeptical/Distrustful/Suspicious of THE MAN (Hack the Planet!)

Musts:
Marked By Power [-1]
1-4 refresh

Background:
Family tried to hide things from me. Very curious, good at finding out anyway.

Rising Conflict: (WIP)
Parents arrested?
Found a REAL truth?

First Adventure/Guest Stars:
Stumbled out of the city and got lost. Found a collapsed museum's basement with Egyptian exhibit partially intact.
Elijah helped [Jake] by veiling us to get out of the city to smuggle artifacts into the city.
Sam came by and was still thinking about the bad building and told Jake and we laughed and had a good time
B-Dawg can't help but take interest in this strange discovery. She befriends Jake to find out more about his adventures.

Stunts & Powers: [-5]
Linguist [-1]
Marked By Power [-1]
Ritual (divination) [-2]
Item of Power (Ankh) [-1]

Item of Power: [-1]
Psychometry [-1]
The Sight [-1]
One time discount (easier to hide) [+1]

Skills (20): [20] Cap: Great
Good (+3): [3]
Scholarship
Conviction (swap with Investigation?)
Discipline

Fair (+2): [3]
Lore
Presence
Investigation (swap with Conviction?)

Average (+1): [5]
Resources
Endurance
Weapons
Empathy
Craftsmanship

Base refresh: 6
Adjusted refresh: 1
Last edited by JollyJackal on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JollyJackal

Postby JollyJackal » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Found that somebody has already made a Sponsored Magic version of Ma'at! (Egyptian magic) Found it on the Jim Butcher forums. I didn't have the refresh for it yet, but I probably would like to take this as my next power once I get enough refresh. http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/inde ... 204.0.html

EDIT:
Possible modifications to that... They are talking about Ma'at herself being the sponsor as well (yes, they use her name for other terms too) and I'd like the sponsor to be Thoth, but it might provide a good basis for my own version.

JollyJackal

Postby JollyJackal » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Leaving this here for future reference...

http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/thoth.html

Especially the Ankh/Scepter reference at the end. Possibility for future Item of Power...

Chrono

Postby Chrono » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Looks interesting, though the refresh is adding up to -6 for me. Love the direction this character is taking!

JollyJackal

Postby JollyJackal » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Hmmm... It looks like the indentation got removed. Psychometry and The Sight are both covered under the Item of Power (for a total of -1 because of the +1 discount). That's why it's -5. I'm gonna edit it and format it differently so it's clearer.

JollyJackal

Postby JollyJackal » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Also, for the weapon, I'm thinking of a Khopesh I found in the Egyptian exhibit :-D

Chrono

Postby Chrono » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Looks great!

Return to “What Happens After”